Sweet lemon rolls swirled with homemade cranberry jam is a must at any breakfast outing. Megan Turner of The Emotional Baker created these little rolls of deliciousness and we cannot get enough! You don’t have to a professional baker to make these either, they’re easy. Next time you go to buy store bought cinnamon rolls we challenge you to try these homemade sweet rolls instead.
1. In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, maple syrup and water. Once mixture begins to boil, add cinnamon stick and turn mixture down to medium low. Continue to cook 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Once, cooled remove cinnamon stick and store in airtight container in refrigerator.
2. Dissolve yeast with 1 tsp sugar and water. Let sit a few minutes.
3. Add 6 tbsp sugar, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, salt and two cups of flour. Stir for one minute.
4. Then add rest of flour in 1/2 cup increments. Stir until a soft dough forms. Add a little extra flour as needed to reach desired consistency.
5. Knead for five minutes.
6. Then place dough in greased bowl and allow to rise one hour.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
8. Roll dough into 15 x 12 inch rectangle.
9. Spread 2-4 tbsp of jam along 2/3rds of dough. Then fold dough in thirds.
10. Cut dough into 12 equal strips.
11. Then cut each strip in half leaving a 1/4 of the strip uncut at the top. Twist strip and then form into ball, tucking ends. Place shaped rolls on prepared pan and allow to rise 30 min.
12. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
13. Bake rolls 20-23 min or until golden brown.
14. Combine powdered sugar and boiling water. Drizzle over buns.