A unique twist on traditional rice pudding. Donna Kelly of Apron Strings Blog took on the Cape Cod Select Holiday Food Blogger Challenge in 2016 and used her culinary skills to create Baked Cranberry Rice Pudding with Cranberry Coulis Drizzle. The flavors in this rice pudding are amazing. Who would have thought to mix cranberries with coconut? We are glad Donna did, because this recipe is now one of our favorites.
1. In a medium saucepan place frozen cranberries, water, sugar (1/2 Cup) and lemon juice and lemon zest and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to thicken.
2. Strain sauce separating liquid from thickened cranberry mixture, keeping both for later use. Allow both to cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar (1/4 Cup), vanilla extract, and salt. Add shredded coconut, coconut milk, and rice.
4. In a roasting pan place 6 ramekins (each 1 inch deep and 5 inches in diameter) and divide rice mixture evenly among the ramekins. Transfer roasting pan to the oven and add hot water, water should be up about halfway on the outside of the ramekins. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir puddings to distribute rice evenly throughout the puddings. Spoon and swirl thick cranberry mixture into each ramekin.
5. Bake puddings another 18-20 minutes or until puddings are set and barley wobble when shaken. Carefully remove each pudding and let cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
6. Garnish puddings with coconut flakes.
7. Serve warm with a drizzle of the reserved cranberry coulis.